Archive for Entertainment
It’s almost Friday! The anticipation is just getting out of control. 😛
Exciting update from Royal Caribbean’s FaceBook page today- “Be a part of history and witness Royal Caribbean’s highly anticipated Oasis of the Seas’ arrival this Friday 11/13. There will be a public welcoming event held at the Jetty Pavilion in John U. Lloyd Beach State Park in Dania Beach, FL from 7-10 a.m. There will be refreshments, giveaways and more!”
But do not fret fellow iCruisers outside of the the South Florida area, you can definitely watch live feed of Oasis of the Seas’ grand entrance into the Port Everglades Inlet here; http://www.inletcam.com/
Aside from that, Oasis of the Seas is full speed ahead to ensure a timely entrance into Port Everglades. More talk of the busy busy day-to-day life aboard the Oasis of the Seas regarding preparations from both Richard Fain, Chairman & CEO and Lisa Bauer, Senior VP of Hotel Operations.
Read Richard Fain’s post on the technical preparations and behind-the-scenes operations here; http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/chairman/getting-close/
Lisa Bauer’s post on all the restaurant openings and different stages of entertainment rehearsals can be read here; http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=698#more-698
Day 11 – November 08, 2009
What better place to build the world’s largest cruise ship than in Finland’s capital of shipbuilding? Learn about Turku’s rich history and tradition of shipbuilding and its close relationship with Royal Caribbean and Oasis of the Seas.
Amazing feats have been accomplished with everything Oasis of the Seas. Whether it’s the entertainment, the actual engineering of the ship, the restaurants, architecture, even micro-climate development, you name it, there’s innovative success behind it.
Today, Richard Fain, Chairman & CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises wanted to highlight the success of Oasis of the Seas’ homeport, Port Everglades.
Read his post on the Chairman’s Blog here: http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/chairman/one-more-big-step/
Day 9 – November 06, 2009
Working on two shows aboard Oasis of the Seas, music director Jonathan Hopes is a man of many talents. Learn how he’s able to organize rehearsals throughout the ship, from Dazzles to staterooms and make sure everything is ready for Oasis’ arrival.
Royal Caribbean is updating the world with press releases on the highly anticipated Oasis of the Seas, and we have a feeling there will at least a dozen more leading up to it’s inaugural cruise in December. We’re just as excited as the rest of the world, if not more and plan on keeping iCruisers updated with any new Oasis of the Seas developments.
So here is the latest from Royal Caribbean…
NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT! ROYAL CARIBBEAN PRESENTS UNPARALLELED ENTERTAINMENT AND ACTIVITIES ONBOARD OASIS OF THE SEAS
MIAMI, September 2, 2009 – When she makes her debut in December 2009, Royal Caribbean International’s newest ship, Oasis of the Seas, will introduce the most unique and varied collection of entertainment and activities ever offered for guests of the global cruise line. From Broadway shows and heart-pounding diving and acrobatic exhibitions, to side-splitting comedy acts and popular theme nights and parades, the world’s largest and most revolutionary cruise ship will truly offer something to entertain all ages, interests and personalities.
With so many exciting entertainment options and venues to choose from, Royal Caribbean is making it easier than ever for guests to plan accordingly so as not to miss any of the onboard thrills, spills and chills. For the first time show schedules will be available pre-cruise at www.royalcaribbean.com, allowing guests the opportunity to customize their cruise experience by pre-booking all shows in advance of boarding. Under the Cruise Enhancements page of the Royal Caribbean website, guests can view all show schedules by show name, day and time and make reservations as far out as three months prior to the sail date for shows at venues including the Opal Theater, Studio B ice-skating rink, Comedy Live and the AquaTheater. Utilizing the latest technology, all reservations booked online will be recorded to each guests’ Seapass card, which will be scanned upon arrival to the selected venue at show time and will serve as the show “ticket.” While guests are encouraged to take advantage of this new pre-booking ability, a traditional Box Office and a ticketing system via the in-stateroom television also will be available for onboard reservations.
Following is a snapshot of the not-to-be-missed headlining shows and entertainment offerings taking center stage onboard Oasis of the Seas.
As the cruise line’s most dramatic and spectacular theater yet, the Opal Theater features a thrust stage and a proscenium extending into the audience to create a more interactive environment. Seating 1,350 guests, the Opal Theater will present three different shows, each performed several times throughout each sailing.
– Hairspray: The eight time Tony Award-winning Broadway musical will no doubt be one of the star attractions onboard Oasis of the Seas. Licensed exclusively to Royal Caribbean, the show is set in 1962 and follows the story of Tracy Turnblad, a big girl with big aspirations who wins a spot on the local TV dance program, “The Corny Collins” show, and finds herself transformed into an overnight teen sensation. Boasting an incredible cast of talented performers, who were selected during a four city audition tour in London, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, this fabulous 90-minute show will be performed four times throughout each cruise and will thrill audiences with original costumes, sets, lighting designs and the hottest, high-energy numbers of the Broadway version produced with Royal Caribbean’s unique stamp.
– Come Fly With Me: Guests will be taken on a journey of soaring heights, interactive video and powerful singing and dancing during this spectacular 45-minute show, which will be performed four times during each cruise. Bringing the Opal Theater to life, this visually stunning show combines the unique aerial, dance, gymnastic and vocal talents of Royal Caribbean’s incredible cast, coupled with the immense talent of the cruise line’s award winning costume, video and scenic designers.
– Headliner Showtime: Offered three times throughout each cruise, guests will be delighted by the fabulous acts taking the stage at the Opal Theater, including world class singers, musicians, and magic and juggling acts.
The popular Studio B ice-skating rink will continue to awe guests with spectacular and vibrant ice shows and serve as the locale for a variety of themed events.
– Frozen in Time: Marking the 11th ice show Royal Caribbean has produced for this unique venue, Frozen in Time will bring to life the works of Hans Christian Andersen, the acclaimed author most notable for his children’s stories. Classic tales such as “The Snow Queen,” “The Red Shoes,” “The Ugly Duckling,” “The Little Mermaid” and “The Emperor’s New Clothes” will take the ice during a breathtaking show of spectacular choreography, theatrics, costumes and music. Performed by The Oasis of the Seas International Ice Cast, which features top-rated figure skaters from around the world, this not-to-be-missed ice show will be available seven times during each cruise.
As the first theater of its kind, this dazzling oceanfront amphitheater-style venue will be home to the most incredible, jaw-dropping shows ever seen at sea. Seating 600 guests and boasting the largest and deepest pool at sea, AquaTheater will host a variety of entertainment, including live music, fun themed events, fountain shows and cabarets, with the most anticipated attractions being two elaborate dive shows that will take place each day and night.
– Oasis of Dreams: Set against the backdrop of the ocean beneath the twinkling nighttime sky, this breathtaking dive show will leave audiences wowed after every performance. The most professional and talented cast of Olympic and NCAA champion athletes from around the world have been selected for this show, including divers, synchronized swimmers and gymnasts. Set to an original soundtrack and synchronized with fountain shows, lighting and special effects, the all-star cast will perform a heart-pounding, dramatic spectacular, making this majestic venue come alive and bringing guests to their feet.
– Splish Splash: Performed five times each cruise, this light-hearted and humorous dive show provides fun and surprises the whole family will enjoy. The AquaTheater’s cast of divers will showcase their comedic sides, combining crazy poolside antics with exhibition Olympic-style diving, all performed to an upbeat and dramatic soundtrack.
Located in the Entertainment Place neighborhood, Comedy Live is one of the signature after-dark venues onboard Oasis of the Seas. The adult comedy club is a fun and intimate space with decor inspired by a New York subway station.
– Comedy Shows: Nightly performances by talented stand-up comics will provide side-splitting laughs and antics. Two comedians will take the stage each night during one-hour long shows performed two to three times nightly.
Theme Nights and Parades
With a Royal Promenade almost double the width of those found onboard Voyager- and Freedom-class ships, Oasis of the Seas will continue the tradition of Royal Caribbean’s signature theme nights and parades, and make them even bigger and better!
– Disco Inferno Street Party: Throughout the Royal Promenade on the Atlas Bridge, Rising Tide Bar and the mezzanine, guests will dance to the music of the 70’s in this Disco-themed street party.
– The Royal Promenade Parade will transform this neighborhood into a fantastical wonderland, with sights and sounds inspired by popular fairy tales.